Rules and requirements
Diploma Thesis completion and diploma examination
Procedure of conducting the diploma examination remotely
Diploma thesis editing guidelines
The cover of the diploma thesis
New patterns of the title page of BSc and MSc Diploma Thesis
RULES AND REQUIREMENTS
Pursuant to the Academic Regulations at the Warsaw University of Technology and the Ordinance of the Dean of Faculty of Building Services, Hydro and Environmental Engineering (WIBHIŚ) on determining the diploma-award procedure:
- A BSc student may choose the diploma thesis topic after completing the 6th course semester at the earliest. An MSc student may choose the diploma thesis topic after completing the 1st course semester at the earliest.
- A student is obliged to provide the Dean’s Office (room #136) with Diploma Thesis Title Submmission Form. A thesis account is launched in Diploma Theses Archives USOS-APD (https://apd.usos.pw.edu.pl) based on the submitted Diploma thesis title submission form.
Student is obliged to upload the diploma thesis in electronic form to the USOS-APD system. The supervisor shall approve the Diploma Thesis submitted by the student in the APD system. The deadline for entering the thesis to APD and its approval in APD by the promoter is the day specified in the Academic year schedule for the last year of the student’s programme, as the deadline for submitting the diploma thesis. This schedule is announced annually by way of an Ordinance of the Rector of WUT at https://www.pw.edu.pl/.
- At the same time, the student is obliged to provide the Dean’s Office with an application for admission to the diploma examination, together with all the required documents, within the date specified in the Academic year schedule for the last year of the student’s programme, as the deadline for submitting the diploma thesis. On the day of submitting the admission application concerning the defense and diploma examination at the Dean’s Office, the thesis must already be approved in the USOS-APD module.
- A student who is interested in a specific diploma examination date (diploma examination schedule is kept by the Administrative Office of the Faculty) shall submit a complete set of documents and have a promoter-approved thesis in the APD within 30 days prior to the selected diploma examination date, but not later than on the day specified in the Academic year schedule for the last year of the student’s programme as the deadline for submitting the diploma thesis.
- Each Student shall submit the following documents in the Dean’s Office (room #136, during the opening hours) one month before the date of diploma exam:
– completed form “application for admission to the diploma examination” from the faculty website: documents-for-download,
– declaration of a student taking remote diploma examinations,
– information to be included in the supplement,
– diploma personal data,
– graduates’ professional careers monitoring survey,
– 4 photos in 3,5 x 4,5 cm format,
– proof of payment of fees for diploma (PLN 60 for Polish language diploma, applies solely to graduates who commenced their studies prior to the 2019/2020 academic year, bank account: see your personal account in USOS; a graduation diploma in Polish language, together with a supplement, their 2 additional copies and, in the event of an application, 1 copy in a foreign language, shall be issued free of charge to graduates who commenced their studies in the 2019/2020 academic year or later),
– in the event of applying for a copy of the diploma translated into a foreign language and/or a copy of the supplement translated into English, the following is additionally required: filled in application for the above-mentioned copy, 1 photo (per each copy, you can apply for up to 3 copies), proof of payment of fees for a copy of diploma (PLN 40 per 1 copy, applies solely to degree candidates who commenced their studies prior to the 2019/2020 academic year. Degree candidates who commenced their studies in the 2019/2020 academic year or later are required to pay the fee only in the event of applying for more than 1 copy in a foreign language),
– abstract of the thesis in Polish and English,
A prerequisite for admission to the diploma examination is:
- obtaining all credits and passing all exams included in the curriculum, confirmed by entries in USOS (MSc: accumulate minimum 100 ECTS (or 70 ECTS in the previous program), Internship-Field Work (4 ECTS), one semester of Physical Education/Sport; BSc: accumulate minimum 225 ECTS, three semesters of Physical Education/Sport, Foreign Language (12 ECTS), C1-English Language Exam, Internships (4 weeks, 5 ECTS + 8 weeks, 14 ECTS), Training in Occupational Safety and Health, Library Training);
- uploading the diploma thesis to the USOS-APD module and its approval by the promoter therein,
- submitting an application for admission to diploma examination in the Dean’s Office, together with all the required documents before deadline, according to the Academic Calendar of the current academic year (the regulations of the Rector of the Warsaw University of Technology).
- settlement of all financial liabilities towards the Faculty (see your personal account in USOSweb).
At the student’s request (with an opinion by the promoter), the Dean may postpone the diploma thesis submittal date, however, not longer than by three months. A prerequisite for the diploma thesis submittal date postponement is:
- obtaining all credits and passing all exams included in the curriculum, confirmed by entries in USOS.
- the diploma thesis progress assessed by the promoter as at least 60%. A student applying to postpone the thesis submittal date shall provide the Dean’s Office with a relevant application (see documents-for-download) together with the promoter’s opinion on the thesis progress, within the dates specified in Academic Year Schedule as the deadline for submitting the diploma thesis.
A student who did not submit the diploma thesis on time or was not admitted to the diploma examination is removed from the list of students.
In the event of a student’s failing the diploma examination or unjustified failure to take the examination within the set date, the Dean specifies a second – final examination date (the examination may take place after a month, but not later than three months from the date of the first examination). In the event of failing the diploma examination on the second date, the student is removed from the list of students.
Graduation takes place after obtaining a positive grade for the diploma thesis and after passing the examination.
DIPLOMA THESIS COMPLETION AND DIPLOMA EXAMINATION
Regulations concerning procedures of Diploma Thesis completion and diploma examination (Ordinance of the Dean of the Faculty of Building Services, Hydro and Environmental Engineering of January 26, 2021 ):
PROCEDURE OF CONDUCTING THE DIPLOMA EXAMINATION REMOTELY ( the most important information from the Dean’s Ordinance 15/2020 of October 19, 2020)
- At the Faculty of Building Services, Hydro and Environmental Engineering, it is possible to conduct diploma examinations remotely using electronic means of communication, ensuring in particular:
a) real-time transmission of the diploma examination between its participants;
b) multilateral communication in real time, during which the participants of the diploma examination can express their opinions during the examination
with the necessary safety rules.
- The condition for admission to the diploma examination in the remote mode is the completion and submission of an appropriate statement by the student
- The diploma examination is conducted by the diploma examination board. The remote diploma examination is organized by the Faculty Secretariat. When organizing and conducting the diploma examination remotely, the rules, deadlines and documents applicable to the diploma examination organized on a stationary (on-campus) mode (see: https://is.pw.edu.pl/en/diploma-students/) shall apply, supplemented with the documents indicated in these rules.
- The documents required for admission to the diploma examination are submitted by the student in a signed envelope at the entrance to the Faculty building, in a place prepared for this purpose or during a visit to the Dean’s Office by prior arrangement by e-mail.
- Technical conditions for conducting the examination
– The exam is carried out using the MS Teams. Taking the diploma examination requires authentication with an account from the @pw.edu.pl domain.
– The student must have access to a computer enabling work with MS Teams, including a camera and a microphone that ensure the appropriate quality of audio and video transmission.
– Before taking the diploma examination, the student is required to prepare a room that meets the following conditions:
a) the room must be closed for the duration of the examination;
b) no other persons may be present in the room where the student is staying during the examination;
c) no other electronic devices (computers, tablets, telephones, dictaphones, radio devices, etc.) other than the computer used by the student to participate in the exam may be present in the room where the student is during the examination.
– The finding by the Examination Board of a breach of the above-mentioned conditions results in the termination of the diploma examination and is equivalent to ending the examination with a failing grade.
– Before starting the diploma examination, the student is required to:
a) present to the camera a document allowing to establish and confirm the student’s identity; If it is impossible to unequivocally verify the identity of the student taking the examination, the commission does not conduct the diploma examination;
b) declare to the camera that he knows, understands and accepts the conditions of conducting the examination and that he/she has met the conditions specified above;
c) declare that he/she knows the rules of conducting the examination and is able to participate in the examination.
– During the diploma examination, the student is required to provide voice and video from the camera and be in the camera frame throughout the exam.
– In order to provide explanations by the student, the tools available in MS Teams (whiteboard, PowerPoint presentation) should be used in such a way that it is possible to follow the records made by the student and the camera image while the student is taking notes.
– Upon completion of the diploma examination, the Examination Board announces the examination result.
- After the diploma examination, on the basis of the list of examinations prepared by the Faculty Secretariat, the Dean’s Office prints the approved reports from the USOS system in 2 copies.
- The circulation of documents after the completion of the diploma examination remains consistent with the diploma procedure adopted at the Faculty.
DIPLOMA THESIS EDITING GUIDELINES
According to the Regulations no. 43/2016 and no. 57/2016 of the WUT Rector the diploma thesis should be edited using special colors, fonts, layout, etc. The details are in the guidelines.
THE COVER OF DIPLOMA THESIS
Please be informed that starting from January 01, 2017 the covers used for the printed versions of diploma thesis are the same for every Faculty’s student and are going to be prepared and printed by the Printing Unit of WUT. The students, while submitting to the Dean’s Office the documents for final diploma examination, will be supplied with the new form of covers (2 items).
Cover fees, until the Rector’s decision is issued, will not be charged.
NEW PATTERNS OF THE TITLE PAGE OF BSC AND MSC DIPLOMA THESIS
Starting from 1st January 2017 you are required to use new patterns of the title page of BSc nad MSc Diploma Thesis. In your thesis file should be included both language versions of the title page, English version and Polish version.
- A title page of BSc Diploma thesis, english version (Strona tytułowa pracy dyplomowej inżynierskiej, wersja angielska)
- A title page of BSc Diploma thesis, polish version (Strona tytułowa pracy dyplomowej inżynierskiej, wersja polska)
- A title page of MSc Diploma thesis, english version (Strona tytułowa pracy dyplomowej magisterskiej, wersja angielska)
- A title page of MSc Diploma thesis, polish version (Strona tytułowa pracy dyplomowej magisterskiej, wersja polska)
The students are required to submit a full version of the BSc or MSc Thesis and the set of defense documents before deadline, according to the Academic Calendar of the last year of the student’s programme, as the deadline for submitting the diploma thesis. The Academic Calendar is announced annually by way of an Ordinance of the Rector of WUT at https://www.pw.edu.pl/.
Important for students preparing BSc or MSc Thesis
In connection with the statutory obligation of archiving theses, at the Faculty was created Thesis Archive Module as a part of USOS system.
Both the Bachelor in Engineering (BSc Eng) and the Master (MSc) theses currently carried out at our Faculty must be entered into the system.
For this purpose:
– one month before the scheduled date of the final exam the student shall submit to the Dean’s Office an application for admission to the examination, together with the accompanying documents specified in the application (the form is to download from documents for download section)
– the Dean’s Office immediately introduces into the USOS system the title of the work and the name of the promoter and notifies the student about the possibility of uploading the thesis into the system
– then within a week from the date of notification of the student by the Dean’s Office about the possibility of introducing the thesis to the Thesis Archive Module, the student shall upload the thesis into the system.
The Archive Module is available at https://apd.usos.pw.edu.pl . Students log on to the service using the login and password for USOSWeb service. If you do not know or do not remember your login and password, please contact the Dean’s Office (room #136).
Effective uploading of the thesis into the Archive Module is a prerequisite for admission to the final exam.
Other rules for admission to the final exam remain unchanged.
The foreign graduates are required to fill-in the Questionaire for a foreign graduate, (to download from the “Documents for download” section).